In the immortal words of David Wooderson (aka: Matthew McConaughey)
“All right, all right, all right”
The Mojo – she is BACK!
I even managed to resurrect some old skills and learned a new knitting technique this week – but more on that later.
Let’s tidy up some loose ends first…
Evenstar Clue 5 was the first on the docket:
I don’t think I’ll ever get over how pretty this shawl is. Just 2 more sections to go!
My La Vie de Bois socks were Tuesday’s mission:
Mission Accomplished. 😀
I am insanely happy with how these came out. They stop just shy of my calf muscles, so no shaping was required, although I did have a needle the next size up handy should they prove to be getting too snug near the top. It turned out to be unnecessary and they fit perfectly.
The last couple of days, I’ve been tackling the monster that is the Shadowed Cypress Project Bag.
The cotton cinch at the top turned out to be far less “easy peasy” than I thought. In fact, those 5 inches of cotton took the better part of 16 hrs to knit. That “allover cross stitch” pattern nearly killed me. I ended up knocking off the last two repeats to save my sanity.
Then the black cotton wouldn’t behave when attempting to make the twisted cord (or Monk’s cord according to the pattern). Having just about enough with this thing – I decided it was time to play dirty.
I dug out an old curtain tie-back, snipped one end, wove it through the eyelets as instructed, then carefully sewed it back into place on the tassel.
HA! TAKE THAT!
Next I had to tackle the lining, which I also technically cheated a bit on by re-purposing an absolutely *hideous* drawstring bag that I picked up somewhere. (To my credit – it had gorgeous green satin ribbon ties with blown glass flower beads & was only a buck, so it was totally worth the money.)
All that was needed was to square off the bottom, fold over the drawstring hem and sew it in:
I know it clashes badly, but it’s for my personal use and no one’s going to see it most of the time anyway.
The fugly was promptly hidden anyway by immediately stuffing the bag to capacity with the Moderne Log Cabin Blanket and it’s yarn.
Mischief Managed. 😀
I also finished the 16 square centre panel of the sock yarn Patchwork Blanket:
All the squares will radiate out from here. (The colours are a bit off in the photo, but I wanted to show the pattern texture.)
A little known fact … back in the 1980s when I was a little girl, my parents gave me a loom. It was plastic rigid heddle loom made by Fisher Price and looked like this:
I distinctly recall using it, but couldn’t for the life of me tell you either what I made or whatever became of it.
But what it comes down to is the fact that I was weaving even before I ever picked up a crochet hook, embroidery or knitting needle. (There was also my unwavering obsession with my Grandmaman’s tiny 4″ wooden working model of a spinning wheel from the time I was a toddler, but I digress.)
Fast forward to a few years ago…
Harkening back to my childhood loom, I worked a trade with an acquaintance for a vintage “Wool Weaving Loom” made by Spears Games in the UK (circa late 1940s-early 50s).
It is, according to the label, a “size 3” model (what it refers to, I haven’t the faintest idea) and had basic instructions on the lid.
Late Sunday night I got a wild notion to warp it up and see if I could weave a scarf on the little sucker.
I used about 25g of Burnt Orange Patons Kroy 4-ply for the warp (27 threads for those interested) and then started weaving a basic linen stitch scarf with the cursed – err – *cranky* Koigu KPPPM (darned stuff didn’t seem to like whatever I tried making with it) held double for the weft.
Well what do you know… I guess it’s just like riding a bike :).
I wove all day Monday and had a complete scarf by dinnertime:
A new professional grade loom may be in my immediate future – just sayin’.
The Sock Knitter’s Anonymous challenge for April is Entrelac and/or “Non-traditional” sock construction. I came prepared for this one.
Drummossie by Rachel Brown has been in my queue since last year’s Sock Madness.
It took a few attempts with different yarns and a stitchcount adjustment, but I think I’ve got it now:
This Opal Rainforest colourway (“Veronica die Wilde”) is based on a butterfly, but is turning out decidedly more reptilian in flavour, hence their title “Crocodilian Socks”
The toe is knitted in the round, the instep is worked flat, then you provisionally cast-on for the second half of the leg which you work in the round to the cuff. The standard top-down gusset heel and sole are worked back and forth starting from the provisional cast on, ending where you kitchener the sole to the bottom half of the toe.
Wacky, but it works. I can’t wait to see how these turn out.
Desperately needing a mental break from knitting black cotton in the dark last night, I grabbed some chunky acrylic yarn from the closet and started crocheting a quick throw using my 8mm hook and a vintage doily pattern.
The pattern is called “Sunburst Pineapple” which is amusing enough at one-o-clock in the morning, but as my yarn is this great dusky purple and my version will dwarf the original 20″ doily, the name “Exploding Plum” came to mind and put me in a fit of giggles.
There’s 19 more balls of the Mary Maxim Cloudspun where that ball came from (a neighbour gave it to me) so I expect this blanket will be HUGE.
Goodness! Would you look at the time!
You must excuse me – I have to go be all crafty now.