The Thursday before last, I couldn’t do my regular blogpost as I was the helpless victim of an inexplicable brain fog.
This fog was very strange and kept me in it’s evil clutches for about a week and a half. It scrambled me so bad that I could barely string 2 relevant thoughts together.
You can imagine what it did to my knitting. It fairly near reduced me to tears.
Nothing would work, and when I bravely soldiered on, it caused much cursing due to skipped instructions, miscounting and multiple rippings back of hours of stitching.
Adventures in Entrelac
I did, somehow, manage to finish the first Crocodilian Sock through sheer willpower and gritted teeth.
The leg took 3 runs at it to get the stitchcount down to where it fit an 8″ leg.
Final count = 45 stitches. Fingering wt. On 2.25mm needles. BIZARRE.
I swear, entrelac must warp the space-time contiuum or something.
Upon finally reaching the cuff, I changed first round of cuff to (K1, P1, KFB) to increase stitchcount from 45 to 60.
I also had to alter the first row of the heel by knitting into the front & back of each of the 15 stitches to bring it up to the required 30.
Okay, from here-on-out this should be a cakewalk, right? Wrong.
Following instructions, I diligently worked the heel and half of the gusset as written:
Then I tried it on. The rectangular heel turn (Welsh?) as a rule doesn’t work well for me, but the worst part was that *the gussets weren’t lining up*. One side was about an inch ahead of the other side. HUNH??
For the life of me, I couldn’t work out how to pick up the bloody stitches evenly on the sides of the entrelac instep.
Being so fed up with this idiot sock at this point, I did the only logical thing possible.
(No, it didn’t involve copious amounts of alcohol or screaming, although those thoughts did filter through the fog.)
I ripped back to the heel turn, did a regular triangular heel turn (French?) and proceeded to knit the gusset and sole without joining to the instep. When the sole was long enough, I simply kitchenered it to the bottom of the toe and sewed up the sides of the foot.
This pair is going to BadgerDan because I simply cannot get over my ambivilent feelings for this pattern enough to wear them.
I didn’t dare even *attempt* to pick up one of my shawl projects, but I had promised my friend Heather Zoppetti (aka “Digitalnabi”) to test knit her newest sock pattern “Bobbie Strow“.
It took me *three days* to knit the lace cuffs. This would generally take me the matter of *maybe* 4 hrs.
This is as far as I got on my version – “Garden Stroll Socks” Thankfully far enough that I could send my notes off to the ever-patient Heather with confidence.
These will now become the resident “purse” socks until they’re done as the hard part is over.
Maybe It’s a Yarn Weight Thing
Sure, that’s it – you’re overloading on sock & laceweight yarns. You need to knit with some chunky yarn.
Emmaline has been in the queue for a while, why not give it a go? Okay.
After screwing up the bodice increases 3 times, it occurred to me that perhaps gauge wasn’t the issue after all.
It did get done though, however slowly.
I had to put it away, but pulled it out again yesterday and finished it this morning:
Finally – a Finished Object! (a week late.)
What Can I Do????
If you’ve ever wondered what happens to a Knitter who can’t concentrate enough to knit – let’s just say it isn’t pretty.
Over and over I muddled over in quiet desperation what I both wanted to do and *could* do in this troubling state.
I was almost to the point of hysteria when a little internal voice answered.
“You can spin”.
So I took it’s advice.
Highland Handmades Superwash BFL – “Life’s Lemons” (4 oz)
Intentions Yarn Superwash BFL – “Fertility” (4 oz)
Handplyed Recycled Shetland (from sweater) – Brown Heather (36g – 2 ply lace to 4 ply fingering wt)
And spun some more…
LlamaGoldsmith Alpaca Roving – “Simon” (1.3oz)
Louet Dyed Eastport Alpaca/Wool Roving – Toasted Almond (2oz)
I even spun up some itty bitty samples into 55yds of self-striping laceweight singles:
Natchwoolie Samples of: “Black” Alpaca; “Hazelnut Truffle Fawn” Alpaca/Tussah Silk; “Milk Chocolate” Alpaca; “Sterling Mixed Grey” Alpaca/Tussah Silk (total weight: 12g)
All Spun Out
Relaxing a bit, time to branch out a little and ease yourself back to knitting. How about some crochet?
Fingerless mitts – that should be simple enough…
Bohemian Opera Gauntlets
Wow, those were unexpectedly fast and easy.
And very sexay!
On a Roll
Hmm… perhaps you should try to do something with all those tiny balls of dishcloth cotton that have been driving you nuts…
Clockwise from top: Big Blue Flower Washcloth; Nature Star Tawashi; Spumoni Starflake Tawashi; Forget Me Not Tawashi; Eye-Searing Leftover Dishcloth; Softie Leftover Washcloth
Little balls of cotton? GONE.
Then Badgerdan returned home from Toronto with a set of Ikea Kassett CD Boxes.
Who knew that this small act could make me deliriously happy and spawn a joyful afternoon of cutting up sleeves from the overloaded CD binder all to the tune of blaring 1990s music?
I am such an organizational geek.
With my appetite whetted, I moved onto the 2 unsuspecting DVD binders with scissors in my scheming hands…
Believe it or not, there’s 76 DVDs and 14 extra empty sleeves in that small plastic dollarstore basket. I’ll pick up a snazzier box for them next week.
And the binders didn’t go to waste!
They’re now safely housing my collection of cross-stitch patterns and magazines. 😀
This little adventure got rid of 2 plastic binders, one slightly warped CD binder and 2 plastic magazine holders. YEAH BAYBEE!!!
There’s still some residual fogginess going on, but the worst of it seems to have passed.
I think I can safely start on Clue 6 of Evenstar without too much chance of casualties.
(Note: Will be back to regular Thursday updates starting next week.)