The Thursday before last, I couldn’t do my regular blogpost as I was the helpless victim of an inexplicable brain fog.
This fog was very strange and kept me in it’s evil clutches for about a week and a half. It scrambled me so bad that I could barely string 2 relevant thoughts together.
You can imagine what it did to my knitting. It fairly near reduced me to tears.
Nothing would work, and when I bravely soldiered on, it caused much cursing due to skipped instructions, miscounting and multiple rippings back of hours of stitching.
Adventures in Entrelac
I did, somehow, manage to finish the first Crocodilian Sock through sheer willpower and gritted teeth.
The leg took 3 runs at it to get the stitchcount down to where it fit an 8″ leg.
Final count = 45 stitches. Fingering wt. On 2.25mm needles. BIZARRE.
I swear, entrelac must warp the space-time contiuum or something.
Upon finally reaching the cuff, I changed first round of cuff to (K1, P1, KFB) to increase stitchcount from 45 to 60.
I also had to alter the first row of the heel by knitting into the front & back of each of the 15 stitches to bring it up to the required 30.
Okay, from here-on-out this should be a cakewalk, right? Wrong.
Following instructions, I diligently worked the heel and half of the gusset as written:
Then I tried it on. The rectangular heel turn (Welsh?) as a rule doesn’t work well for me, but the worst part was that *the gussets weren’t lining up*. One side was about an inch ahead of the other side. HUNH??
For the life of me, I couldn’t work out how to pick up the bloody stitches evenly on the sides of the entrelac instep.
Being so fed up with this idiot sock at this point, I did the only logical thing possible.
(No, it didn’t involve copious amounts of alcohol or screaming, although those thoughts did filter through the fog.)
I ripped back to the heel turn, did a regular triangular heel turn (French?) and proceeded to knit the gusset and sole without joining to the instep. When the sole was long enough, I simply kitchenered it to the bottom of the toe and sewed up the sides of the foot.
This pair is going to BadgerDan because I simply cannot get over my ambivilent feelings for this pattern enough to wear them.
It took me *three days* to knit the lace cuffs. This would generally take me the matter of *maybe* 4 hrs.
This is as far as I got on my version – “Garden Stroll Socks” Thankfully far enough that I could send my notes off to the ever-patient Heather with confidence.
These will now become the resident “purse” socks until they’re done as the hard part is over.
Maybe It’s a Yarn Weight Thing
Sure, that’s it – you’re overloading on sock & laceweight yarns. You need to knit with some chunky yarn.
Emmaline has been in the queue for a while, why not give it a go? Okay.
After screwing up the bodice increases 3 times, it occurred to me that perhaps gauge wasn’t the issue after all.
It did get done though, however slowly.
I had to put it away, but pulled it out again yesterday and finished it this morning:
Finally – a Finished Object! (a week late.)
What Can I Do????
If you’ve ever wondered what happens to a Knitter who can’t concentrate enough to knit – let’s just say it isn’t pretty.
Over and over I muddled over in quiet desperation what I both wanted to do and *could* do in this troubling state.
I was almost to the point of hysteria when a little internal voice answered.
“You can spin”.
So I took it’s advice.
Highland Handmades Superwash BFL – “Life’s Lemons” (4 oz)
Intentions Yarn Superwash BFL – “Fertility” (4 oz)
Handplyed Recycled Shetland (from sweater) – Brown Heather (36g – 2 ply lace to 4 ply fingering wt)
And spun some more…
LlamaGoldsmith Alpaca Roving – “Simon” (1.3oz)
Louet Dyed Eastport Alpaca/Wool Roving – Toasted Almond (2oz)
I even spun up some itty bitty samples into 55yds of self-striping laceweight singles:
Natchwoolie Samples of: “Black” Alpaca; “Hazelnut Truffle Fawn” Alpaca/Tussah Silk; “Milk Chocolate” Alpaca; “Sterling Mixed Grey” Alpaca/Tussah Silk (total weight: 12g)
All Spun Out
Relaxing a bit, time to branch out a little and ease yourself back to knitting. How about some crochet?
Fingerless mitts – that should be simple enough…
Wow, those were unexpectedly fast and easy.
And very sexay!
On a Roll
Hmm… perhaps you should try to do something with all those tiny balls of dishcloth cotton that have been driving you nuts…
Little balls of cotton? GONE.
Then Badgerdan returned home from Toronto with a set of Ikea Kassett CD Boxes.
Who knew that this small act could make me deliriously happy and spawn a joyful afternoon of cutting up sleeves from the overloaded CD binder all to the tune of blaring 1990s music?
I am such an organizational geek.
With my appetite whetted, I moved onto the 2 unsuspecting DVD binders with scissors in my scheming hands…
Believe it or not, there’s 76 DVDs and 14 extra empty sleeves in that small plastic dollarstore basket. I’ll pick up a snazzier box for them next week.
And the binders didn’t go to waste!
They’re now safely housing my collection of cross-stitch patterns and magazines. 😀
This little adventure got rid of 2 plastic binders, one slightly warped CD binder and 2 plastic magazine holders. YEAH BAYBEE!!!
There’s still some residual fogginess going on, but the worst of it seems to have passed.
I think I can safely start on Clue 6 of Evenstar without too much chance of casualties.
(Note: Will be back to regular Thursday updates starting next week.)