Oh, my poor neglected blog – can you tell that I haven’t really been in a writing mood these past months?
Wow, well I’ve finished a metric tonne of stuff since I last posted so let me bring you up to speed. I’ll just go in order of when I last mentioned them for ease of reference.
(Note: All links are to the Ravelry Project Page for each item. I also list particulars on the Flickr pages for those not on Ravelry.)
I finished these in plenty of time for the Opening Ceremonies. So squooshy and comfy, I love them :D.
I ended up doing the trim in darker yarn only (Spinrite Orlon) because (A) I think it looks nice and (B) It allows me to keep my last two balls of Chocolate Kid Merino for another project.
As the Orlon is 100% acrylic, I both wet blocked and ironed the shrug so that it will keep it’s shape. The border I “killed” the heck out of and it seems to have worked.
It’s a little big on me, but not too bad 🙂 (It’s still drying, so I’ll upload a photo of me in it next time).
It’s done, but not until the day *after* the Olympic Closing ceremonies – I tried, but the border was my downfall.
Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but as it was my first lace project *ever* that has now finally reached completion after years of neglect, I still feel pretty good about it.
Completed during the second week of the Olympics. I love how the yarn ended up pooling on these:
Seriously, how cool are these socks?????
They came off the needles in time for the Canada/Russia Men’s Hockey game and were worn throughout every subsequent Canada hockey game. Lucky charm? I don’t know, but I certainly wasn’t going to risk not wearing them and they seem to have worked :).
Confession: This shawl was cast on just before the Olympic Opening ceremonies – I was twitching okay?
I’ve finished Clue 3 and now that the shrug is done, I should have some more time to work on it.
Half the reason for my blogging vacation is due to my participation in Sock Madness 4. Yep, it’s that time of year again LOL.
And hooboy, have the designers ever upped the challenge factor this time around:
Round #1 – Silver Birch Side-to-Side Socks
Pattern: Simple Side to Side Socks by Deborah Swift, MountainMom Designs
Yarn: Shelridge Farms Soft Touch Ultra 3-ply Handpaints, SU0107N-093 (Beige, Black, Grey); Mystery 3-ply Wool, Grey/Beige Twist; Black Acrylic Cone Wool
I alternated between the handpaint and the twist yarns every 2 rows for the body and the toe.
These ones went to BadgerDan, hence the colours. I even managed to get him to model them (okay, not the best photo – Tomi wouldn’t move his fuzzy butt.)
Round 2 – Premium Roast Socks
Pattern: Cool Beans by Heatherly Walker (aka YarnYenta)
Yarn: Fleece Artist Basic Merino Socks, Bark; Lady Galt Kroy (4-ply), Dk Brown; Paton’s Kroy (3-ply), Beige & Med Brown
Yet again I am reminded that I am not really all that quick at fair isle. These took me a lot longer to finish than I would have ever expected and actually aggravated my wrists into a carpal tunnel flareup (which hasn’t happened in a good long while).
It may have been slow work, but aren’t they fantastic? I love them alot.
Round 3 – Lupine Meadow Socks
Pattern: GAMs by Taya Schram
Yarn: Lisa Souza Sock!, “Newtown”
Finished 3 days ago amidst a stomach bug and *two* day-long sinus migraines and I somehow ended up working 21 repeats on the leg instead of the required 12/15 rpts.
Fever and a fun lace pattern apparently equals insanity.
My 2010 Sampler Afghan has been growing admirably:
And speaking of growing, I started an English Country Garden – a crocheted one that is (which will eventually become a blanket) 🙂
This is a CAL that I happened upon on Ravelry (English Country Garden CAL) and thought would be a good use of my itty-bitty balls of sock yarn. There will be are 1-2 flower motifs released each month from March to September and it’s up to you what you do with them.
Jonquils, Begonias & Daisies
The accursed “Ugly” Flat Feet yarn finally found a pattern it liked:
I figured if it didn’t work, I could always dunk them in the dyepot – but they didn’t turn out too bad.
The pattern is so incredibly pretty (Belle Vitini by Kristi Geraci), I think that it might warrant another pair done in a prettier yarn.
I ended up recovering approximately 130g of Malabrigo Worsted in the “Loro Barranquero” colourway…
… and have recently whipped off a pair of mitts:
It’s the “Rosa Mitts” pattern by Erin Amelia and I still have enough yarn left over to make myself one of these hats:
I started a scarf for my sister’s birthday in March which I hope to have done by her wedding in September:
Pattern: Foreign Correspondent’s Scarf by Lexy Lu
Yarn: Filatura Di Crosa Diwa, Champagne Pink (col. 2)
She loved it when I showed it to her, but I secretly think that the colour of the yarn is keeping me from working on it.
I’m using some recycled wool from a frogged sweater/vest and will be reinforcing the heels & toes with some leftover JaWoll reinforcing thread.
They should eventually look something like this:
I haven’t had much time to work on them lately, but I hope to have one of them done by the end of the month.
I’ve been spinning my little heart out, both by spindle:
Fleece Artist Merino Sliver, “Natural”, 2-ply DK/Light Worsted
70/30 SeaCell/Merino sample from The Enablerie (formerly Flawful Fibres), 2-ply fingering wt
50/50 Soysilk/Wool Sample from The Enablerie (formerly Flawful Fibres), 2-ply fingering wt
Fleece Artist Merino Alpaca Sliver (I’m calling it “Caramel Macchiatto”), 2-ply fingering wt. (approx. 50g)
and by wheel:
My first bobbin of yarn – EVER!
Fleece Artist Blue Faced Leicester Sliver (I’m calling it “Pumpkin Patch”), Navajo-plied 3-ply DK (approx. 50g)
I’m so proud :D.
Here’s hoping that things settle down enough around here for me to be able to blog a bit more often.