The Frog Pond and Other Stories

Lately I’ve been finding myself ripping out and re-starting a number of projects for various reasons.

My Spring Surprise Shawl fought me from the beginning. The KAL began January 1st and caught me unawares without a yarn choice. After rummaging through my laceweight stash, I settled on some Misti Alpaca 2-ply Baby Alpaca in a nice heathered green. I then cast on with some old 3mm “fingering” style (blunted end) aluminum straights – first mistake. Then the yarn started giving me problems – splitting, getting caught on itself, not moving on the needle and generally making a pain of itself. The “halo” from the alpaca was also obscuring the lace pattern. Let me now say that it is an intricate rectangular shawl in the Shetland style that is really well charted and easy to follow – not an issue. Don’t get me wrong – I love this yarn, it just did not want to be made into this shawl and was making the fact quite clear. Undetered, I carried on and finished Clue 1.

Alpaca Spring Surprise Shawl

Hoping that changing to some Addi Turbo circulars would help, I went ahead with Clue 2. I battled with the bloody thing until midnight when I finally conceded defeat and ripped it out. I went through the stash again, deeper this time and came up with a cone of 2-ply cobweb weight mercerized cotton (like for making crocheted doilies) in a caramel/butterscotch tone and began again on 2.5mm needles. Ripping back a second time the next morning, I sized down my needles again to 2mm and am now happy with the result. Okay, so mercerized cotton isn’t the softest thing in the world to make a shawl or stole out of (especially when you originally began with alpaca), but it will make a “jim-dandy” table runner even if I don’t use it as a garment. Halfway through Clue 1 I could sleep soundly again.

Spring Suprise Shawl - take 2

Now almost caught up at the beginning of Clue 3.

Spring Suprise Shawl - Clue 2 Complete

Another project to be ripped back and re-started was my Minimalist Cardigan. I had finished the back but hadn’t gotten back to it. Reason to be taken apart – it was too darn big. Had to go down a pattern size so here we go again – I’m about 4″ into re-knitting the back now. I’m seriously debating giving up and ripping this one back for good.

Minimalist Cardigan - Take 2

Also frogged – my Katmandhu shrug I made a year or two back (a victim of an unfortunate washing incident resulting in the shrug being able to fit a large rhino). There was just no way on earth that I was going to let 5 balls of grey tweed (shade 120) Queensland Katmandhu go to waste – so back into balls they went.

On the brighter side, some stuff got finished in the holiday period:

French Fable Socks - Complete

My French Fable Socks – a little bit of a loose fit on my feet, but okay.

Fawkes Socks (Toe-up)

A pair of Fawkes socks which DO fit very well flew off my needles. These are made from a single hank of Shelridge Farms 3-ply Soft Touch Ultra Handpaint and some solid burgundy fingering wool from the sock yarn stash.

Not my normal colour choice (I don’t generally care for pink), but you see…

Once upon a time, there was a lonely orphaned hank of handpainted sock yarn that had been put up for adoption in the discount bin. Every time that Erin went to work it stared at her and kept reciting over and over the name “Fawkes”. And in response, Erin told it back “No, you’re too pink” and carried on working. Finally, after about 3 weeks of this bantering back and forth, Erin took pity on the poor skein, paid the adoption fee and took it home feeling rather foolish.

Knowing that she would have to knit the socks toe-up, she followed this version of the Fawkes pattern on 2.5mm circulars using a contrast yarn to make it stretch. They came out only a half repeat shorter than the original. Now both the yarn and Erin are living happily ever after together…

…but the yarn is still too pink.

Other things I’ve been up to:

Austermann Abotanicity Sweater

I began working on a sweater pattern from the latest Knitty – “Abotanicity“. I’m making it out of some Austermann Step instead of Trekking XXL (because, frankly, I found 4 balls of it on sale). I really like it so far.

Mystic Waters - Clue 2

I’ve finished Clue 2 on the Mystic Waters shawl – have I mentioned it’s huge?

Neon Madness Socks

And the next socks in the queue, what I’m calling my “Neon Madness” socks. It’s the Madder Ribbed Sock pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush for my KAL group of the same name. I took the opportunity of the “simple” pattern to use up one of the psycho self-striping sock yarns that have found their way into the sock yarn suitcase. It’s Online Supersocke 100 Highland Colour done on 2.5mm circs.

They may not exactly be neon, but certainly have all the subtlety of a Will Farrell movie.

I’ll catch up the rest of what I’ve been working on next post. I tell you – right now I’m not really sure if it’s me trying to keep up the blog or the blog trying to keep up with me!

Advertisements
Published in: on January 21, 2008 at 3:34 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , , , ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://alynxia.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/the-frog-pond-and-other-stories/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: